How to Calculate Eligibility Points for Express Entry – Canada PR

IRCC uses selection factor points to help assess your eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. IRCC assess your selection factors and assign an overall score out of 100. If you score 67 points or higher, you may qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

If you meet the other requirements too, you can submit a profile to the Express Entry pool. Once you’re in the Express Entry pool, IRCC uses a different system to rank your profile.

If you score lower than 67 points, you won’t qualify for the program. You may be able to get a higher score by doing things like:

In this article:

  1. Language skills points
  2. Education points
  3. Work experience points
  4. Age points
  5. Arranged employment in Canada points
  6. Adaptability points

1. Language skills (maximum 28 points)

It’s very important to be able to communicate in 1 or both of Canada’s official languages. Knowing English, French or both helps you in the Canadian job market. You can get up to 28 points for your language skills in English and French. IRCC will give you points based on your ability to:

  • write
  • read
  • listen
  • speak

You must take an approved language test to prove your language levels. To measure your English or French levels, IRCC uses:

  • Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) for English
  • Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) for French

You must get a minimum level of CLB 7 or NCLC 7 for 1 official language in all 4 language areas. To get points for the second official language, you must meet the minimum level of CLB 5 or NCLC 5 in all 4 language areas. To find out more about language requirements for Canada PR click here.

Check the table below and add the points that match your skill level (for English as first language assessed by IELTS):

Second official language (maximum 4 points)

Second official language Points
At least CLB 5 in all of the 4 abilities 4
CLB 4 or less in any of the 4 abilities 0

2. Education (maximum 25 points)

If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian;

  • secondary institution (high school) or
  • post-secondary institution

If you have foreign education, you must have:

  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report for immigration purposes from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
    • secondary institution (high school) or
    • post-secondary institution

3. Work experience (maximum 15 points)

You can get points for the number of years you’ve spent doing full-time paid work (at least 30 hours per week, or an equal amount of part-time [15 hours per week for 24 months]) at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2016 National Occupational Classification.

The NOC is a list of all the occupations in the Canadian labour market and is used to classify jobs in the Canadian economy. It describes duties, skills, talents and work settings for different jobs. You will need to identify the “NOC code” for each job that you want to include in your Express Entry profile. Find your NOC to find the information that best matches each of your past jobs. If the description and list of main duties match what you did at your job(s), you can count this experience for points.

To get selection factor points, your work experience will count if it was:

  • in Canada or abroad
  • while you were studying
  • while being self-employed

Use this chart to find the number of points based on your number of years of experience.


Experience Maximum 15 points
1 year 9
2-3 years 11
4-5 years 13
6 or more years 15

4. Age (maximum 12 points)

You’ll get points based on your age on the day we get your application.


Age Points
Under 18 0
18-35 12
36 11
37 10
38 9
39 8
40 7
41 6
42 5
43 4
44 3
45 2
46 1
47 and older 0

4. Arranged employment in Canada (maximum 10 points)

You can get points if you have a job offer of at least 1 year from a Canadian employer. You must get the job offer before you apply to come to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker.

A valid job offer has to be:

  • for continuous, paid, full-time work (minimum of 30 hours/week) that is:
    • not seasonal
    • for at least 1 year
  • in an occupation listed as Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the NOC.

IRCC must be convinced that:

  • you’re able to do the job offered to you
  • you’ll be able to become licensed or certified when in Canada (if the occupation is regulated in Canada)

5. Adaptability (maximum 10 points)

You and your spouse or common-law partner who will immigrate with you to Canada can earn points for adaptability. You and your spouse can earn a maximum of 10 points by combining any of the elements below. These elements assess how well you and your spouse are likely to settle in Canada.

error: Content is protected !!