Study in Germany – Your Comprehensive Guide
Germany consists of 16 states and the capital is Berlin, which is also the largest city. The population of Germany is 82.5 million and it is the fourth-largest economy in the world and Europe’s largest. German is the official language and Euro is the official currency of Germany. Some of the famous cities in Germany are Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Dresden, Leipzig, Heidelberg. Some of the renowned German companies include Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Siemens, Volkswagon, etc.
Reasons to Study in Germany
Most German universities charge zero tuition fees. They may charge EUR 150-250 per semester as administrative fees and provide several student benefits like free transportation in the city.
High Quality of Education
Education in Germany is one of the oldest and best in the world. Most universities and colleges are state-owned and government-funded. Academic merit is the only criteria for admission and German education guarantees practical knowledge in addition to a solid theoretical foundation.
Part-time work/ Student jobs
International students are allowed to work for 120 full working days or 240 half working days in a year. Typically the student wages range from 8 to 12 Euros an hour. Students can work on campus or outside the campus. Students with German language skills get higher wages as compared to the students having no German-language skills.
Germany is home to many of the Fortune 500 companies like Volkswagen, Audi AG, BMW, Bentley Motors Limited, Škoda Auto, Siemens etc. The German economy is Europe’s strongest. It is the European leader in terms of growth, employment and export.
Non‐EU students are allowed to stay up to 1.5 years after the completion of the study to search for a job. Indefinite right of residence is offered to graduates after 5 years of working in Germany.
Study in English
You can study every subject in English, no need to speak German as many public universities offer UG and PG courses which are delic=vered in English.
Affordable living cost
The cost of living in Germany is affordable, averaging around 720-850€ including rent, food, transport, health insurance, telephone/internet, study materials and leisure activities. This can easily be funded by part-time work or by a scholarship.
Travel in Schengen countries without visa
Your student visa in Germany will allow you to visit all the Schengen countries. You will have the chance to live and explore one of the world’s most developed countries and its unique culture, history and landscape.
Part-Time Work in Germany
You can work 120 full-days or 240 half-days per year. If you take an internship not required by your degree, your work hours will be subtracted from your yearly amount.
Full-Time work after completing studies in Germany
You will need a work permit to get a full-time job in Germany after finishing your study in Germany (salary of EUR 4033/ month). You can qualify for a permanent residence permit after working for 33 months in Germany, or just 21 months if you speak German well. But, on average people take about 5 years.
Types of Higher Education Institutes in Germany
Technical University / Universitat
- Degrees offered includes Bachelors, Masters & Doctorate.
- Universities mainly impart theoretical knowledge
- Research plays an integral part of the study.
- Faculties include Education, Engineering and Science, Law, Medicine, Social & Cultural Sciences, Business Management.
University of Applied Sciences / Fachhochschule
- More practical oriented.
- Offers Bachelors’s programs in general.
- Some institutions also offer Masters’s Program.
- Though research is gaining importance the focus remains on application-oriented study.
- Excellent job opportunities owing to close tie-up with industry.
Colleges of Art, Film and Music
- artistic subjects, such as music, architecture, visual arts, drama, dance, industrial and fashion design.
- modern media, directors, cinematographers, screenwriters and other film and television professionals are trained.
- Admission requirements for these courses include a specific talent which you must demonstrate at an entrance examination
- Winter (September October): The application deadline for winter enrolment is the end of May to the 15th of July
- Summer (March/April): The application deadline for summer enrolments is the beginning of December to the 15th of January
- Universities take a lot of time to process applications. And, the visa application process is also quite time-consuming. Therefore, it is recommended to start the process 6-8 months in advance.
Cost & Expenses of Studying in Germany
- Zero tuition fees for undergraduate and postgraduate courses in most universities. Nominal tuition fees for remaining universities
- The cost of living in Germany is quite reasonable compared to other European countries. You will need around 853 euros a month to cover your living expenses in Germany as of 2019 (EUR 10,332 per year).
Admission Requirements for German Universities
To study in Germany, admission is based on your academic record especially school or college CGPAs (min 60-70 percent) and past achievements. Each university sets its own required documents but, generally, most of the following will be included:
- Certified copy of high-school diploma or previously completed degree
- Passport photo
- Copy of your passport
- Proof of language proficiency – German (and / or English: IELTS 6.5 minimum)
- GRE is also required for Masters’s courses in high ranking universities (310 plus is recommended)
- Motivation letter
- Letter of Recommendations
- Application fee
For admission in undergraduate courses:
13 years of education is required for entry into a Bachelors’s program in Germany. This can be achieved by:
- successfully completing the first year of a Bachelors’s program from a recognized university in India in the relevant subject field OR
- Successfully completing a Foundation year at a university in Germany to compensate for the 13th year of education.
Documents Required for Germany Student Visa
Following documents will be required for the Visa application:
- A confirmed place at the school, university or college where you intend to study.
- Proof of funds (‘maintenance or funds) to cover your course fees and living costs in Europe (EUR 720 per month).
- Complete the online application form
- Provide a passport-sized biometric photo
- Ensure your passport is valid for 12 months
- Pay the application fee (75 EUR)
- Evidence of payment of tuition fees (if applicable)
- Transcripts, and certificates of your education
- Health Insurance for the first three months of your stay
- IELTS/TOEFL test result
- A medical Check is not required
- A blocked bank account with Deutsche Bank or Kotak Mahindra is required
- Book airline tickets
- Arrange accommodation near the University
- Arrange transportation to/from the airport to your new home
- Arrange your banking requirements – consider buying traveler’s currency card
- Check baggage and customs limitations
- Clear all paperwork with your home educational institution
- Travel insurance certificate
- Letter of Acceptance (LOA) by the educational institution
- Important addresses and phone numbers
- A bank statement showing proof of funds
- Prescriptions for any medication you are carrying
- Medical and immunisation records
- Academic history and university transcripts
- All documents submitted for Visa application
How can Road to Abroad Help you?
We are leading overseas education consultants which provide professional guidance to all those who aspire to study abroad. We offer a one-stop solution to all your needs related to studying abroad. Be it admission counseling, study visa assistance, IELTS Preparation, permanent residency visa, post-study work visa, we provide expert counselling from the beginning of the journey to the very end. Our founder and director Dr. Sriyash Mangal is a graduate of University College London (ranked among the top 10 in the world university rankings) and holds a Ph.D. from LMU Munich, Germany (IMPRS Ph.D. Program). Therefore, we understand the value of good education and do everything to get you admitted to a university that is perfect for you.
Why Choose Us
Our Germany admissions team works under close supervision of Dr. Sriyash Mangal who completed his Ph.D. in Cell Biology & Developmental Biology from Ludwig-Maximillian University Munich, Germany – the No. 1 university of Germany and the Bayern State. He lived in Germany for 6 years and worked in most reputed German institutions like LMU Biocenter, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry – Munich, and Max Planck Institute of Cell Biology and Genetics.
After completing his studies from Top Universities, he is mentoring and guiding students for many years who dream of studying in Top universities of the world. He has all the know-how of admission process in Germany and how to apply to top public universities in Germany.
Contact us to know about our Consultation Packages.