A New Points-Based Study Visa for UK
The UK government has introduced a new points-based immigration system for all study visas from 5 October 2020. This replaces the old Tier 4 Student Visa route.
- 70 points – 50 for CAS and academic requirements, 10 for proof of funds, and 10 for English language requirements.
- You can apply 6 months prior to the course start date
- No study limit for degree level courses
- See detailed comparison below
Now that the UK has left the EU, the new route treats all students equally, with international students, including those from Europe coming to study after the transition period ends, using the same, simplified route when it opens for applications.
Minister for Future Borders and Immigration Kevin Foster said:
Now we have left the EU, we are free to unleash this country’s full potential and implement the changes we need to restore trust in the immigration system and attract talent to drive our economy forward.
Launching the Student route early sends a clear message to the world we want the best and brightest to come to the UK to study at our globally renowned education institutions.
There will be no limit on the number of international students who can come to the UK. This will help to increase the total number of international students choosing to study in the UK higher education system each year to 600,000 by 2030.
The new Student route improves on the previous Tier 4 route by making it more streamlined for sponsoring institutions and their students, creating clearer pathways for students, and ensuring the UK remains competitive in a changing global education market.
Students will require a total of 70 points to be granted leave. They will achieve the required points if they can demonstrate that they have an offer from an approved educational institution, speak English and are able to support themselves during their studies in the UK.
The UK also wants to ensure they retain the brightest and the best students to continue to contribute to the UK post-study, which is why we are launching the Graduate route in the summer of 2021. This additional new route will allow those who have completed a degree at a UK Higher Education provider with a track record of compliance to stay in the UK for two years (three years for PhD graduates) and work at any skill level, and to switch into work routes if they find a suitable job.
uk student visa from india, uk student visa new rules, uk student visa tier 4 point based system, uk student visa processing time, uk student visa work permit, uk student visa updates, tier 4 visa, uk student visa status, pbs tier 4 dependent visa, ukvi points-based system, pbs tier 5, indefinite leave to remain tier 4, nqf7 course UK, tier 4 sponsor licence revoked list. uk student visa processing time, uk study visa without ielts, uk student visa new rules 2019, uk tier 4 visa checklist, how many hours can a student work in UK, uk tier 4 visa health insurance fee
Want more content like this? Register for free Newsletter below to get regular updates.
For more information regarding the new point-based study visa for the UK, contact our team at Road to Abroad.
Related content worth a look:
- 5 Best Practice Test for international students
- Duolingo English Test – an alternative to IELTS
- IELTS Score required to study in Canada
- Study in UK without IELTS
- How to apply for Canadian student visa?
- IELTS 5.5 Band colleges in Canada
- How to calculate CRS Score for express entry.
- Expenditure to apply for Express Entry
- How to get Canada PR as skilled immigrant by Express Entry
- Funds required for Express Entry – Skilled immigrants
- How to calculate eligibility points for express entry
- Valid job offer for express entry – skilled immigrants
- Educational credential assessment (ECA) for express entry
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) for Canada PR
- 5 Best IELTS Practice tests for international students
- COVID-19: updates on international travel bans
- Point based immigration in the UK
- Universities and Colleges in Canada, Post study work visa, part time etc.
- Eligibility for Student Direct Stream (SDS) for expedited Canada Student Visa